Natural Gas is colorless and odorless. As a safety precaution, West Coast Gas Company Inc. adds a sulfur-like odor to natural gas to help people identify gas leaks.
Many gas appliances and most water heaters have a small, continuously burning gas flame – the pilot light – that ignites the main burner. Most new models of gas ranges, ovens and central forced air heating systems have electronic ignition systems and no pilot light. All homes in the Mather residential area were originally equipped with gas ranges, ovens and central heating units that are ignited electronically – no pilot light. However, the gas water heater does have a pilot light.
If you think you smell gas do the following:
- Do not attempt to locate the gas leak.
- Do not use lighters, matches, or some other source of open flames.
- Do not turn lights on or off, unplug electrical appliances, do not use telephones (including cell phones), or do anything that may create a spark.
- Leave the area immediately and call West Coast Gas Company Inc. or 911 from a location where gas leaks are not suspected.